Tuesday, July 23, 2013
Pallet Wood Name and Bird Sign
I have acquired some wooden pallets and they have been just sitting in the back yard begging to be used for something. I see different hand painted signs all over the place and figured I would try it out. Those boards are not very easy to get off so my husband did most of that and I stole 2 boards while he wasn't looking!
First I hosed them off and sprayed them with a vinegar and water mixture to get any bugs that might have been on them off. I set them out to dry in the sun for awhile. (sorry no pictures of this because I was too excited!)
Once they were dry I grabbed a can of Oops paint that I liked (I tend to buy at least 1 can every time I am at Home Depot or Lowes!) and got started. First I worked on my oldest son's sign. I painted the whole board a light blue. I didn't get into every little nook and cranny, but I did cover most of it. While that dried I used my Silhouette to make a stencil of his name in a font that I like.
After the paint was dry I taped the stencil to the wood and used a small brush to dab the paint on. I didn't use brush strokes because I didn't want the paint to bleed under the stencil, since it was only scrapbook paper. (Again, no pictures...)
I let it dry for a few minutes before removing then stencil and decided I liked it but it needed more. My 1 year old LOVES birds! It was pretty much his first word and it is one of the things that calms him down when he is upset so I thought it would be a nice addition to the sign.
I found a picture of a bird online that I liked and drew it on paper. Once I had it how I liked it I traced it onto the sign on either side of his name. I did a few edits to it once I started painting it to change it more to my liking.
First I painted the birds the same color as the lettering and was planning on leaving it at that. Once it dried I just wasn't sure so I got some advice from some friends to add more detail.
I added a little bit of grey into the wings and throughout the birds to add some texture (more of my Oops paint!). I still didn't think it was enough so I added a little bit of dark blue (also Oops paint!). I added this on the belly and the tips of the wings to add some shadowing and coloring effects. I also added an eye on each bird.
I am very happy with the results and excited that I am going to do tons more of these pallet paintings!